Good maintenance of your weave or wig is essential. This is because how you care for your weave/wig determines how long it will last.
Here are some tips:
- Use silicon spray in your hair to keep it silky, shiny, and tangle free. Just a little of it, because too much serum can build up on the hair, making it tangle and appear dull. So, the more frequently you apply serum, the more you’ll need to wash your hair.
- When in use, brush your weave/wig twice a day, starting at the tips. When brushing, hold your hair in the middle. Gently and slowly brush out the tangles at the ends, working your way up to the top of your head. Don’t brush vigorously as this will cause the hair to shed (and curly hair to lose its curl). A detangling brush or wide-toothed comb may be used to brush out severe tangles. This is so important.
- Never sleep with wet or damp hair.
- Spray leave-in conditioner and brush gently. Don’t tug on the hair as it may loosen the weft and cause shedding.
- Deep condition the hair regularly to maintain its optimal condition. If heating tools are used frequently, deep condition at least once a month. If the hair has been coloured or chemically treated, increase this to twice a month.
- The best way to maintain the health of your weave/wig is to treat it like your own hair. Natural oils, deep treatment and cremes are some of the best ways to keep it from becoming dry or brittle.
- Store your wig on a mannequin or wig stand when not in use.
Culled from StyleDiva